Proverbs 5 - Purity In A Perverse Culture
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.
- Since wisdom is the application of knowledge we need to reverence God first.
- Then we need the knowledge of the Word.
- For us to have Godly wisdom we need to apply the knowledge of the Word of God.
According To Solomon
- Knowledge comes from reverence of the Lord. Knowledge and wisdom both begin from the reverence of the Word of God.
- If you want to be knowledgeable, study God’s Word. If you want to be wise apply God’s Word.
In Our Culture
- There is so much perversion, in our media, in our education system, in our homes and even in the church. (Lutherans ordained gay ministers)
- An answer to perversion: Sexual purity and Proverbs 5 talks about this.
Proverbs 5 Says:
- To pay attention to my wisdom, listen to my words of insight.
- So we may maintain discretion (means the wisdom to keep a person from future trouble or failure) and not speak ignorantly but with God’s wisdom.
- Stay away from smooth talking, adulteress, you will fall for her trap.
- In the end, you will be sorry you fell for her. You will lead a bitter life.
- The wages of sin is death.
- Immoral people don’t think about the destruction of their way of life.
- Young people do not realize that an immoral life leads to squandering youth.
- You will grow old and have nothing but regrets, nothing but sin and bones. (Message Bible)
- The discipline of saying no to immorality leads to saying, I have no regrets, I have peace with God for obeying His voice.
- Listen to your mentors and take your teachers seriously.
Jesus & Wisdom Are Synonymous:
- In Proverbs 8 we see Jesus.
- Wisdom is found in the market place.
- Wisdom is where decisions are made.
- Wisdom is a shield to those who are righteous.
- Wisdom is a guard protects those who acquire it.
The Source of Wisdom
- Is the Lord. (Proverbs 8:6)
- He holds victory in store for the upright. He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless.
- He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones.
- Then you will understand what is right and just and fair - every good path.
- Will enter your heart and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
- Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.
How God Views
- Sexual immorality.
- Paul said that if we know a brother who is in an immoral relationship with a woman we are not even to eat with that brother.
- In the Ten Commandments God says…Don’t commit adultery, and don’t covet your neighbor's wife.